[Novalug] January Meeting Topic(Oracle Poll)

loathe loathe@speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 5 12:23:32 EST 2006

Me.

  _____

From: novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org
[mailto:novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org] On Behalf Of Doug Needham
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 12:09 PM
To: Northern Virginia Linux User's Group
Subject: Re: [Novalug] January Meeting Topic(Oracle Poll)

Just out of curiosity....

How many other Oracle DBA's or users are on the list?

Doug

Peter Larsen <plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com> wrote:

CPalmer wrote:
> I'll be glad to do a presentation on Oracle installation (I'm an Oracle
> DBA), including what to do once the install is finished to get a working
> database. January is not good for me so let's talk about March or
> after.

:) Glad to see other Oracle professionals as part of this group. I
would be glad to meet up at our next meeting to just get acquainted.
Having been in the "Oracle industry" for 20 years and run it on
practical every platform, including MSDOS, how Oracle has "tackled" or
rather not tackled Linux has been my pet-pea for a long time.

As anyone who's tried to install Oracle, it's not a matter of just
installing an RPM. Would there be any interest in a discussion of how
mastodont vendors like Oracle "embrase" Open Source in some areas, while
refusing to take advantage on their core products?

Btw. Oracle has a few months ago released a FREE version of Oracle -
Express. It's easier to approach, but has less features than the normal
DB - in other words, it's a direct response to MySQL and PostSQL. Is the
interest in the standard/enterprise models of the RDBMS or would there
be a bigger interest in these more available/free versions?

Regards
Peter Larsen

PS. I don't know Tim (yet) but if he's interested in doing the
presentation, I gracefully stand down. I just wanted to make sure we got
the subject narrowed a bit, since Oracle is such a wide subject.

  _____

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo!
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http:/smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>
Small Business.