[Novalug] Looking for linux equivalent of Microsoft Publisher or similar

Luigi de Guzman luigi@cantab.net
Sun Dec 3 00:49:53 EST 2006

Suggesting TeX to the OP is overkill.  OP requires a desktop publishing
suite, not a typesetting language.

MSPUB was a (not very sophisticated) desktop publishing application
which allowed users to do page layouts visually.  TeX is a very
sophisticated typesetting language which requires a considerable amount
of study to produce relatively simple layouts.

MSPUB was a good app for its limited uses--I found it was OK for
newsletter publishing--but it would have choked on a major book-design
project.   TeX, of course, is the best thing going for real book design,
but would be too much to suggest to the OP.

Scribus is probably better:  it allows him to do layouts visually.

0-Luigi