[Novalug] Problem with XF86Config-4 Now solved

donjr djr1952@hotpop.com
Fri Dec 1 19:32:55 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 17:30 -0500, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> The problem was:  My installation of Linux kernel 2.6.8 did not include
> the mouse device driver.  And, since X requires presence of a working
> mouse, X could not be run, either.  Cure:  typing "modprobe mousedev" at
> root prompt.
>
> By the way, I'm not sure where Debian would like me to place "modprobe
> mousedev" so that the mousedev module would be recognized during the boot
> process.

For where to handle the "modprobe mousedev" part I can answer:
  To the file "/etc/modules" add/adjust to the following to fit:

--------------------- snip ------------------------
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

ide-cd
ide-detect

# for the 2.6 kernel to see the built in mouse
psmouse
mousedev
---------------- snip ------------

The file is processed by the /etc/init.d/module-init-tools command when
it is ran by "/etc/init.d/rcS" which is ran by "/sbin/init" when in
"/etc/inittab" init sees the following line
"si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS"

For your next spare time project I'd recommend that you follow the
complete system start up from loading of the "kernel" to the first
display of the log in prompt.

The information that you gain will be very helpful in solving future
problem like this.

{: Hint the Linux Kernel by default (unless overridden by a init=....
parameter) run the program /sbin/init. :-}

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
Q: What do you call a WASP who doesn't work for his father,
   isn't a lawyer, and believes in social causes?
A: A failure.