[Novalug] boot chains on FC6 ( or in general )

Walt Smith waltechmail@yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 17:08:25 EST 2006

hi,

This email is a query for a little info
about grub and the boot sequence.

In short, I have been using a box for awhile, &
I recall some of the boot info.  But it dawned
on me that if I forget something, how does one,
 or what tool would one use to find out
what I forgot about...

Here's the box:

hde3 is active boot ( it has a * in fdisk, and a /boot )
hde5  is the actual grub menu used, and had s full RH9
        including /boot at one time.
hde9  has a recently used FC3.  It has a /boot, /, /everything
hde10 has a newly installed FC6.  During anaconda install,
        I specified the hde10 extended/logical partition to
        be the boot.....  ( and it wouldn't boot, obviously)
         until I modified hde5 which has menu's....  hde10 has a /boot

To be more clear, /boot as well as /, and everything else
are on each of hde5, hde9 and hde10.  There is a  separate
/boot in hde3.

To make it boot, I edited grub.conf in hde5.

OK,
here's the questions:
Looking backwards----
How do I tell whose boot is on the MBR?  MS ? grub ? lilo ?
How do I tell if I put a boot in the hde3 partition area?
How do I tell where hde5 is actually chained "from"/"to" ?
Is it possible I have a boot on the --partition-- of hde5 ? or 9 ?
how to tell ?  Any tools ??

I -may- want to modify with the MBR or the hde5 to
boot hde10 --- ?? thru the extended partition boot or grub ?

note:  I'm not in a bind on this... it just a q nagging me..
I haven't seen anything to use to make discovery easy.

thx,

Walt.......